Understanding Nursing Home Abuse And Negligence
Nursing homes are supposed to provide constant care and monitoring to our senior loved ones. When those facilities and their staffs fail in that responsibility, our elderly loved ones face grave risks to their health and well-being.
Common Types Of Nursing Home Abuse And Neglect
Common ways in which seniors can be harmed in a nursing home include:
- Falling — Nursing homes have a responsibility to conduct fall risk assessments and provide proper fall protection. Falls can result in subdural hematomas, closed-head injuries, broken bones and even fatalities.
- Malnutrition — How much a senior is eating needs to be tracked, especially for those who may have difficulty communicating.
- Dehydration — Dehydration can quickly take a toll on the health of a senior.
- Bedsores — Failing to move a senior regularly can result in bedsores. Untreated bedsores can become seriously infected.
- Overmedication/medication errors—Overmedication can be used to keep seniors docile.
- Psychological abuse — Verbal or emotional abuse may not cause physical scars, but it is still abuse.
- Sexual abuse — Staff members sometimes abuse residents or fail to prevent abuse by other residents.
- Wandering off — Lack of supervision can often lead to wandering that results in injury.
Nursing homes should keep clear records regarding the care that was provided to your loved one. We can help you secure and examine those records for evidence that abuse or neglect occurred.
Protecting The Rights Of The Injured Since 1968
At Lamkin, Van Eman, Trimble & Dougherty, LLC, our firm has been helping residents of Columbus for 50 years. Our attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience and are skilled at conducting investigations that uncover the truth about nursing home abuse and negligence.
Attorney Kathy A. Dougherty began her career in the medical field and with 15 years of experience working in hospitals, she helps us clearly identify issues in medical evidence.
Contact Our Team Today: 614-360-2706
When a loved one has been injured in a nursing home, you need to know that your Ohio nursing home negligence lawyer offers the best chance of truly helping your senior loved one. Turn to the skilled and experienced attorneys of Lamkin, Van Eman, Trimble & Dougherty.