No Fee Unless You Win.
Legal Representation For Columbus Birthing Complications And Obstetrical Negligence
Failure to diagnose or properly treat various conditions that arise during pregnancy or during the birthing process can lead to complications and irreversible injuries.
At Van Eman Law, LLC, LLC, we assist with the following types of birth injuries and complications.
Protracted Labor And Delivery
A long delivery can have an adverse impact on the health of a baby. A protracted labor can cause brain injuries and lead to fetal distress due to any of the following:
- Delay in ordering or performing a cesarean section
- Misuse of a labor drug such as Pitocin
- Intraventricular hemorrhage (bleeding into the brain)
- Imprecise use of a vacuum extractor or forceps
- Inadequate resuscitation
- Failure of hospital personnel to monitor the newborn after birth
- Failure to properly treat infections
- Fetal malpresentation/malposition (including breech)
Premature birth can lead to serious injuries for your baby. For example, periventricular leukomalacia (PVL) and intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) are often found in premature infants and cause irreversible brain damage. IVH may be due to cerebral hypoxia. These injuries can lead to seizures, developmental delays and long-term issues for your baby. Doctors and nurses need to properly monitor these issues to prevent such injuries.
Shoulder Dystocia And Brachial Plexus Palsy
Shoulder dystocia and brachial plexus palsy can be the result of medical malpractice during the birthing process. Erb’s palsy, cerebral palsy, cerebral hypoxia, muscle injury, loss of the use of an arm, and scarring are just some of the other serious complications.
These injuries are usually related to the compression of nerves as a baby comes down the birth canal. Did the baby get stuck during delivery? Failure of the attending physicians and medical staff to appreciate fetal size and weight can have catastrophic consequences on the delivery.
When Should I Seek Legal Advice About Birth Injuries?
Knowing when to take action is important. If there is any question in your mind, it is important to seek the advice of an experienced Ohio birth injury lawyer who can help to evaluate your unique circumstances.
Contacting an attorney should be done:
- At the time of delivery — Things just didn’t go well or you experienced a tragic outcome.
- Between one and two years of age — Full financial impact of the situation sets in. Your child is having challenges walking, talking and/or eating. You’re starting to realize this baby may need lifelong care.
- After a diagnosis of Erb’s palsy or cerebral palsy.
Reaching Out To Our Experienced Legal Team
At Van Eman Law, LLC, LLC, our attorneys have successfully handled numerous medical malpractice and negligence cases for individuals in Columbus and surrounding areas.
We have an in-depth understanding of the legal obligations hospitals must meet. We also have the resources and often use expert witnesses in a wide range of medical fields.
Take Action Sooner Than Later — Even If You’re Unsure
Contact Our Experienced Team Today.
We have built a reputation during our 50 years of helping clients in Columbus, Ohio, with legal matters. Let us continue to build that reputation with the help we provide to you.