Birthing Complications And Obstetrical Negligence
Failure to diagnose or properly treat various conditions that arise during pregnancy can lead to complications and irreversible injuries. A child who suffers injuries during the birthing process may require lifelong care.
Delivery and birth complications can be caused by:
- Failure to properly monitor newborns
- Failure to respond to or recognize unusual bleeding
- Umbilical cord entrapment or compression left untreated
- Fetal distress of any kind that the doctor or hospital could have prevented
If your child has suffered injuries due to obstetrical negligence, you may be facing a lifetime of medical bills and extra care. Contact the Columbus birth injury attorneys at Lamkin, Van Eman, Trimble & Dougherty for a free initial consultation.
Protracted Labor And Delivery
A long delivery can have an adverse impact on the health of a child. A protracted labor can cause brain injuries and lead to fetal distress due to any of the following:
- A delay in ordering or performing a cesarean section
- Misuse of a labor drug such as Pitocin
- Intraventricular hemorrhage (bleeding into the brain)
- Imprecise use of a vacuum extractor or forceps
- Inadequate resuscitation
- Failure of hospital personnel to monitor the newborn after birth
- Failure to properly treat infections
- Fetal malpresentation/malposition (including breech)
If a premature birth could have been prevented or treated more carefully, your child may have been injured unnecessarily. For example, periventricular leukomalacia (PVL) and intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) are often found in premature infants, and cause irreversible brain damage. IVH may be due to cerebral hypoxia. These injuries can lead to seizures, developmental delays and long-term issues for your child.
Medical Errors During Delivery May Result In Shoulder Dystocia And Brachial Plexus Palsy
Shoulder dystocia and brachial plexus palsy can be the result of medical malpractice during the birthing process. Erb's palsy, cerebral palsy, cerebral hypoxia, muscle injury, loss of the use of an arm, and scarring are just some of the other serious complications. These injuries are usually related to the compression of nerves as a baby comes down the birth canal. Did the baby get stuck during delivery? Failure of the attending physicians and medical staff to appreciate fetal size and weight can have catastrophic consequences on the delivery.
When Should I Seek Legal Advice About Birth Injuries?
Knowing when to take action is important. If there is any question in your mind, it is important to seek the advice of an experienced Ohio birth injury lawyer who can help to evaluate your unique circumstances. Here are other times to contact our office:
- At the time of delivery — Things just didn't go well or you experienced a tragic outcome.
- Between one and two years of age — Full financial impact of the situation sets in. Your child is having challenges walking, talking and/or eating. You're starting to realize that this child may be living with you for the rest of your life.
- After a diagnosis of Erb's palsy or cerebral palsy.
If you have been affected by any complications caused by medical mistakes during the birthing process, contact our Ohio birth complication lawyers today. It is important to act as soon as possible to protect important medical records, fetal monitoring strips, staff reports, and witness statements. It is important to bring action against the hospital as soon as possible: important records need to be preserved and questions need to be answered. Did the nurses bring immediate attention of any issues to the doctors, obstetricians, anesthesia professionals, neonatologist, or pediatrician?
Our attorneys have successfully handled numerous medical malpractice and negligence cases, and are dedicated to pursuing financial justice for those who have been wronged. We have an in-depth understanding of the legal obligations hospitals must meet. We have expert witnesses in a wide range of medical fields at our disposal. If you have suffered due to nursing negligence, or have lost a loved one to wrongful death while he or she was under the care of a nurse, we are here to stand up for your rights.
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation Today
Have you been the victim of nursing mistakes and negligence? Contact us today online or by telephone at 866-856-0433 to speak with a skilled attorney. Our Columbus medical malpractice lawyers want to help you.